The burning sensation that you feel after eating a heavy meal is known as heartburn. It is commonly experienced by a large number of people all over the world. The main reasons for the occurrence of heartburn are associated with your food intake and lifestyle habits. By understanding the causes of heartburn it becomes easy to avoid this problem. Here is a list of some factors which can contribute in causing the heartburn:
- Spice and fried food: Having unhealthy and fatty foods is the biggest reason behind the occurrence of heartburn. The fried and spicy foods contain a high amount of fat and are not easily digested by our body.
- Heavy meal at dinner: Eating a heavy meal in the dinner increases the pressure in your stomach. Also people who eat very fast also tend to suffer from heartburn more than others.
- Lying down after a meal: Your stomach takes time to digest the food. Lying down just after having a meal causes the acid to flow from the stomach to the esophagus, which in turn causes the heartburn.
- Smoking and alcohol: The bad habits of excessive smoking and alcohol consumption are the major reasons for heartburn. Smoking and alcohol intake relaxes the esophageal sphincter that allows the acid to enter the stomach and causes heartburn.
- Indigestion: Other unhealthy habits related to food, such as eating heavy meals, not chewing your food properly, having foods which are full of fat and spices, affect your digestion system. It also increases the production of acid in your stomach which then gives rise to the problem of heartburn.
- Caffeine: Frequent and large intake of caffeine induced beverages like coffee, tea and soda also causes the acid to enter the esophagus.
You should try to analyze that what causes heartburn in your case because only after identifying the right cause, you can get rid of this problem.